about us

The family that built Llwyndu were called Edwards and they claimed they could trace their ancestors back to the ancient tribes and princes of Wales. This pedigree was recorded in the summer of 1588 by Robert Edwards, then Clerk of the Peace for Merioneth and he is the first that we can flesh out with any real documentary evidence. He was probably born around 1555. For several generations his descendents were educated at Cambridge and the Inns of Court in London. Robert was a local legal official, merchant, patron of poets and an associate of many of the local gentry families in this area. His son, Edward, rose to be a barrister in London in June 1607 and practised in London and on the Chester circuit.

Both Robert and Edward became ill in 1615 and died in the following year. Edward had become wealthy enough to leave a sum of £100 to each of his 6 daughters.

Ellis, his infant son was to be raised, according to Edward's will, by his brother-in -law, Griffith Vaughan of Cors-Y-Gedol, owner of one of the largest estates in the county. Ellis went on to Grays Inn in 1632, dealt in land while in London, but appears to have returned home and apart from acting as a JP in 1660, little is known of him.
His two sons, Robert and Edward, both went on to Cambridge, Robert becoming a fellow of St. John's and moved onto higher things it seems. Edward came home in 1651/2 but died very young in around 1657.

Ellis, it would seem, was the last of the male line, and eventually settled his estate upon the marriage of his grand- daughter, Jane, in 1671 when she married William Holland of Conwy, another well connected gentry family.

Ownership of Llwyndu subsequently passed to a Middlesex man for much of the 18th century before it became part of the Cors-Y-Gedol Estate in 1793 and continued as a tenant farm.

During the early decades of the19th century the Edwards name appears again and a number of them became mariners aboard the many ships that were built locally and sailed from the now flourishing port of Barmouth. Many of the local inhabitants had shares in these vessels and the Mawddach Estuary was busy with boat building until the coming of the railway in 1867.

A tenant, one Mrs.Jones bought the farm from the estate in 1854 and retained it until its sale in 1949, Llwyndu then being purchased by the Lloyds who in turn sold it to the Hurst family (1976 - 1985) which is where we came in for our stint at Llwyndu - 1985

former inhabitants
past inhabitants former inhabitants
former inhabitants
Read the The Good Hotel Guide review

Home Food Heritage Tariff Exploring Contact Us Finding us

This site constructed by Heritagewales. All contents copyright 2010